Let´s face it, mobile devices such as iPhones and Blackberry´s are a big part of our lives. We take them everywhere with us like our wallets and keys. With the rise of mobile device usage we are also seeing an increase in mobile marketing. According to a survey by the Mobile Marketing Association, budgets for mobile marketing spend is set to rise 124% from 2010 to 2011.
As event professionals and trade show marketers there are some great ways to implement mobile marketing into your trade show promotions.
How to Use Mobile Marketing On the Trade Show Floor
Mobile marketing gives exhibitors another way to engage with visitors on the show floor and drive traffic to your booth. Make your messaging concise yet compelling. Set yourself apart from your competition and share the benefits of attendees visiting your booth. Remember this is not a time for selling; this is a time to share your value proposition. Use mobile marketing to engage attendees with promotions like text to win contests, informing visitors of upcoming speakers or product promotions in your booth.
Need real time information from your visitors about their experience in your booth? Use your mobile marketing efforts to learn more about the demographics of your attendees to ensure future success. Poll your attendees while they are on the trade show floor to discover their impressions of your products, your booth staff, your display and the services offered.
Mobile Marketing also has a green element to it. We´ve all attended events and walked away from them armed with a stack of literature only to dispose of it once we´ve returned to our hotel, car or home. Instead of lugging around all of those brochures, give attendees the opportunity to receive information via bluetooth on their mobile device. Or, have attendees text you their email addresses requesting these materials.
How to Get Mobile
Here are some do–it–yourself ways to be “mobile” at your next trade show or event.
- Consider creating a company Facebook page. The page can keep people informed while they are on the trade show floor but also can be used in your pre–show, at–show and post show campaigns.
- Consider Twitter to let people know what´s happening at your event or with your company in general. Facebook & Twitter are great sites for you to update with timely information using your own mobile device on the show floor.
- Have you got useful educational information you can share with your clients that can be turned into a blog? You can then share your blog posts on your twitter & face book pages.
- Look into SMS messaging service providers so you can integrate mobile phone communication such as text messaging into your at–show and post–show promotions. You can also use SMS to remind your existing clients and prospects the event is on!
- Create a lead taking page on your website for an event so you can submit leads while on stand through a laptop, IPAD, blackberry etc. Or your show attendees can fill in a lead for you.
- Don´t stop with lead taking. Think how you can put your Surveys and questionnaires into an online format reducing paper and making the content more accessible.
- Don´t over–engage. Mobile phone numbers and email addresses are private and personal to us all, by over–engaging you will easily lose the following you´ve worked to build or worse annoy your clients and prospects.
- Consider “text to win” or online entry forms to your booth promotions.
Also consider that if you have a really busy and crowded booth space and you can´t keep up with the masses that surround your booth, a mobile marketing campaign may be an effective way to reach those who are intimidated by the crowds surrounding your booth.
Please share your mobile marketing ideas or success stories in the comments section below.